1. Dental sealants are just for kids. FALSE. Sealants are for anyone who wants them – they will benefit anyone who decides to get them, regardless of age. It is recommended that children and teenagers get sealants since tooth decay can begin early in life, but adults reap the benefits of sealants too.
2. Cavities are the most common childhood disease. TRUE. Cavities are the most common childhood disease for children ages 6-19. Receiving sealants before a child develops his or her first cavity can help prevent their getting cavities in the first place.
3. Sealants are expensive. FALSE. In the long run, sealants can save you money. Your dentist can teach you more about how preventing cavities now will save you money long term.
4. Sealants will make my mouth look funny. FALSE. Sealants are invisible – no one will ever know you’re wearing them. The plastic surface just covers the back chewing teeth to protect the enamel.
5. Sealants hurt. FALSE. You won’t feel a thing when your dentist puts the sealants on your teeth.
6. Sealants last for many years. TRUE. Sealants can last up to ten years if well-cared for. Brushing and flossing twice per day will keep the sealants functioning at their most efficient capacity.
7. Sealants are 100 percent effective. TRUE. Properly applied sealants are 100-percent effective in protecting surfaces of chewing teeth from cavities.
Information via American Dental Association