If you have tried tooth whitening previously but found it to be unhelpful, you may need to see a dentist to determine which type of whitening treatment is right for your tooth stains. To help you choose the right teeth whitening treatment, our dentist and team offer more information on the types of tooth stains you could experience.
When it comes to tooth stains, there are two main types, extrinsic and intrinsic. Extrinsic refers to the stains that develop on the surface of the tooth enamel, and they can often be treated with a simple whitening procedure. Extrinsic stains are typically caused by:
– Dark foods that contain a lot of pigmentation, such as berries and candy
– Tea, coffee colas, and other dark drinks
– Smoking tobacco through a cigarette or pipe or chewing tobacco
Intrinsic tooth stains develop on the inside layers of the teeth and can be visible through the clear tooth enamel or as a result of the tooth enamel becoming worn away. They can’t be treated with a teeth whitening procedure, but Dr. Christopher M. Spelman can provide dental bonding, veneers, or crowns as an alternative treatment. These stains are caused by:
– Fluorosis, or overexposure to fluoride at a young age
– Dental trauma that darkens the tooth
– Certain medications that include teeth darkening as a side effect
To learn more about your options for teeth whitening in Hopewell, New Jersey, and which treatment is right for your smile, please contact Orlando Family Dentistry, LLC at 609-466-1332 today and arrange an appointment with our talented dentist. We would love to hear from you!